Sunday, October 30, 2011

Using Counters!

Here are some of my students using clear counters (chips) to help with counting sets of coins!  This really helps them to keep track of the coins they have already counted and the values climbing up the 100's chart!  As they counted the mixed sets of coins on the cards (these are from my Sassy Cat Spending Spree Math Tub) they used the 100's chart to count up!!! Money is always so tricky for my students each year and I try to provide lots of tools (100's charts, number lines, counters) to help my students when needed! My students know they can get whatever "tools" they need.  The key is knowing when students are ready to transition from these "conceptual hands on tools" to mentally doing math on their own.  For example, many students still need the 100's chart to see adding ten/taking ten away from larger numbers (numbers and their neighbors) but my goal is to help students eventually transition to doing these skills on their own with no tools.  It takes the student showing me through conversation and class observation before I feel they are "developmentally ready" for this!  Would love your input on this.   Let me know what you think.  Thanks!-Yvonne


7 comments:

  1. omgosh - money is always so hard for students!!I might have to try this one out :) thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea. I am definitely giving this a try.

    ✿Erika
    2B Honey Bunch

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just awarded you the "Blog on Fire Award!!"
    Please share 7 things about yourself and pass the award on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh...how cool Jen! Thank you! I actually just got back from a "fall" getaway with my family and this is a great surprise to come back to. Let's see, seven things about me??? I love my family, I enjoy the outdoors and camping, I love chocolate, teaching is my passion-not just my job, I have been married 21 years, I love my miniature dachshund, and I am a Georgia Bulldog! I will pass this on to another "Blog on Fire Award Winner!" Thank you!!!-Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything looks great. You have put a lot of work into this. Ann T

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Ann! I am having fun with TPT and my blog! I hope you are loving retirement!!! We all miss you at school!-:)Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have observed a teacher using clear counters with the 100's chart to help students count money -- it was VERY effective! All students were engaged and being successful. :)
    Jennifer - Texas

    ReplyDelete