Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Addition Strategies, Data Team Goals, and More!

We have hit the ground running this week working on addition strategies for our Operations and Algebraic Thinking Unit.  I am sure a lot of you are doing data teams and setting grade level data team goals.  My second grade team met a week or so ago and decided to really push numbers and operations as our focus unit.
I enjoy teaching addition and subtraction strategies to second graders because they can handle the idea of math journaling to explain their strategies.  You can really hold them accountable for solving the problems and explaining their thinking to others.  Today we worked on our Addition Strategies, Properties, and Pictures Flip Flap Fold Booklet to review the strategies we've learned so far.

I LOVE to do foldables with my students!!! So simple and they offer great teaching opportunities.
Foldables give students a chance to create graphic organizers for all subjects.  We worked on the strategies sections today and plan to complete the properties and pictures flips tomorrow.  Here is one of my groups working on their booklets...
They did a great job matching up the strategies with their descriptions and equation examples.  I had my kids use the flip and fold option that has the strategies, pictures, and properties all in one.  
Some might want to make two separate flip and fold booklets to teach them at different times.  Because we've already worked quite a bit on these, I knew my students would be fine with combining them altogether.
I had a conversation with a co-teacher this week about teaching strategies.  There are many different ways teachers express the strategies using different language and vocabulary.  Ultimately, what our students need to really know are the basic strategies such as their doubles and ways to make ten.  

I enjoy using my strategy posters to help my students with addition and subtraction strategies.  Once we are solid with our basic facts, we move into adding and subtracting larger values using pictures and properties.  Here is my Math Fact Fun Resources packet that we use for fact practice, buddy activities, and strategy fun!
I'd love for you to check it out and let me know what you think.  I'd also love to hear what cool ideas you have for teaching addition and subtraction strategies to your students. Thanks for stopping by.
Have a great week!-Yvonne




No comments:

Post a Comment